Friday, March 14, 2008

The Countdown Begins

We purchased our tickets! Finally, we can allow ourselves to get excited about our trip to Australia.  The day after we bought the tickets, I was packed and ready to go!  The girls are making lists of what to take and where to go once we get there (hopefully short ones) and we're scrambling to tie up all of our loose ends.  I've been on a de-cluttering mission.    I find that things are put into perspective a bit, knowing that I won't need anything in my house for 3 months!  In fact, I won't need my house at all, or the farm, or the animals, or the vehicles (although I'm sure it will be nice to have them here when we get back).  The girls don't need the gymnastics lessons, music lessons, swim lessons and horse riding lessons.  My responsibilities will be nil and we can just enjoy each other's company (I can dream)!   Free to have fun for 3 months.  That opportunity doesn't come around every day, or month or year.  Shucks, maybe it only comes around once every 38 years or once in a lifetime.   I would like to think that this will be the impetus we need to change our priorities.  My hope is for the girls to  build global perspective by traveling rather than just spending their entire lives working at a job to make money to pay the bills, to put their kids in daycare, to drive the dream vehicle and own the dream house.  Though the status symbol thing seems to have eluded me all these years, I have plenty of things to clutter and cloud my perspective.  Gosh, I'm becoming a little too introspective and this is supposed to be about FUN!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay!!!! I'm so excited to hear about your adventure! I know this will be the trip of a lifetime for you guys!

Anonymous said...

Dear everyone,
I'm looking forward to seeing you at the airport "Down Under".
It's a long flight so take lots to read, and drink plenty of water :-)
Regards
EL